How do you keep up with the news? How do you stimulate your creativity, add an extra kick to your presentations and stay relevant for your career? It’s a challenge. I confess I love the retro feel of a newspaper and in fact newspapers are still my primary news source (New York Times, LA Times, and Wall Street Journal). Yet at the same time, I crave innovation. I think blogs and online subscriptions are a great way to keep up and get inspired. Here are five of my favorite blogs and subscriptions of the moment that I would recommend to my human resource management and organizational behavior students or any professionals.
- Seth Godin – http://www.sethgodin.com/sg/ He is the master of blogs. I only wish I could be as pithy and at the same time thought provoking as this guy. I resisted at first subscribing to a blog from a marketing guru…but sometimes the hype is true. This is a great one.
- Daily Infographic. I don’t know who makes these or how to describe them but they make me happy. They are like Power Point Poetry. Kind of like a visual and words together. http://dailyinfographic.com/. Very creative. Of course there is a lot of content that is not business related, but there is enough there that I can use to put some spice into my presentations or inspire my thinking.
- Jorge Cham is a Ph.D. cartoonist! He cartoons about the crazy academic life for faculty and students. So clever!! Subscribing gets you a comic almost every week. http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/ There is also a lot of humor just about office life in general. These comics are a great networking tool as you can send these on to other people like your mentors.
- Susan Adams is a senior editor at Forbes.com and is my go-to source for articles on careers and leadership. She is always cutting edge and has smart ideas. I love how blogging enables anyone to share their ideas and yet sometimes credibility and veracity of information is an issue. With Susan, I trust that the content is from a pro. Great source for career information for students and professionals. http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/
- I like to incorporate poetry into my presentations for students and executives. Ending with a poem is a nice surprise and a gift you can give your audience. If you sign up for this website, they will send you a poem a day for the month of April. http://knopfdoubleday.com/genre/poetry/
Do you have any favorite blogs or subscriptions to share? Leave a comment here and let’s spread the word!