What's a power mentor?
Why do top executives endorse mentoring?
How to choose proteges
Being a good protege
Benefits of Mentoring
Featured in “Ask the Expert” series for podcast interview for Mindtools in August, 2008. https://deimos.apple.com
Featured expert on mentoring for the Nan Russell “Work Matters” radio show in October, 2009.
Ellen shares her 8 Tips For Finding a Mentor on Forbes.com
HOW TO FIND AND USE A MENTOR (slideshow) Though the best mentor-protégé relationships evolve organically, it’s possible to go out and find a mentor, says Ellen Ensher, a professor of management at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles and author of Power Mentoring: How Successful Mentors and Protégés Get the Most out of Their Relationships. In a human resources course she teaches each semester, Ensher assigns students to go out and find their own mentors. HERE.
- Recently, I was interviewed by USA Today and NerdWallet writer, Brianna McGuran, about tips to help new college graduates to find a mentor in their first job. There were some great ideas in the article that can apply to new graduates and more experienced professionals. Read the article HERE.
- Forbes: Why Entrepreneurs Should Look Beyond A Mentor’s Gender, Race And Age
Posted on April 1, 2014. A recent Forbes article titled, “Why Entrepreneurs Should Look Beyond A Mentor’s Gender, Race And Age” quoted me on a couple of occasions. Read the article HERE.
- Fast Company:
6 Ways To Be A Kick-Ass Mentor
Posted on Jan. 29, 2014. There are mentors, and then there are kick-ass mentors. And if you’re going to take on the mantle of giving someone else career guidance, insight, and advice, you might as well aspire to greatness. Read the article HERE.
- Fast Company: 7 tricks to make time for mentoring even when you're too busy.
Posted October 14, 2014. Taking on a mentee can be demanding of your time. Here's how both mentor and mentee can get the most out of the investment. Read the article HERE.
- Entrepreneur Magazine:
Forget Advisors -- How to Find and Woo a Power Mentor
Posted on Oct. 31, 2013. I had the pleasure of being interviewed by Gwen Moran, a writer for Entrepreneur Magazine and we discussed how to connect with power mentors and develop relationships with them. Read the article HERE.
- Be a mentor: Get ahead by giving back
Posted on Oct. 23, 2013. Everybody knows that getting a mentor can help you in your career but what about having a protégé- how can that help you? And yes, we can all use some “good person” social capital but what about cold hard cash? Recent studies show that people who mentors other financial as well as emotional dividends. I had the pleasure of speaking with a Money Magazine reporter about this idea. Read it HERE.
- Talking Power Mentoring with Women’s Leadership Success Radio
February 2014. Ellen explains the ins and outs of mentor-protégé relationships using her personal stories and research.
- TV interview on “Fortune Business Report” for NY1 News TV, NY, NY
March 9, 2006. Ellen talks about her book "Power Mentoring" and offers some success strategies for finding the right mentor.
- TV interview on morning news for Fox TV in San Diego -
December, 2005. Ellen gives some career advice and talks about the difference between "power mentoring" and "traditional" mentoring programs.